Artists and creative community members are encouraged to visit the 2019 Art on the Trails outdoor exhibition, Marking Territory. The exhibition, juried by Shana Dumont Garr, curator at Fruitlands Museum, has been installed in the Beals Preserve, Southborough, Massachusetts and will remain there until September 22, 2019. www.artonthetrails.com The submission period is March 1 - April 22, 2019.
The Southborough Open Land Foundation invites artists and creative community members to submit proposals of site-specific artwork for the 2019 Art on the Trails outdoor exhibition, Marking Territory. The exhibition, juried by Shana Dumont Garr, Curator of Fruitlands Museum, will be installed in the Beals Preserve, Southborough, Massachusetts from June 13 - September 22, 2019.
Theme: Marking Territory
Marking Territory explores the idea that both animals and humans have ways of creating boundaries in their environment in an attempt at creating a safe place. Mark making in art refers to the lines, patterns, and textures we create in a piece of art. We invite artists to consider how one might mark the environment in a non-permanent way, as their own expression of boundaries.
Please consider the following guidelines before submitting a proposal:
- Artists may submit existing work or a proposal for site-specific work.
- Multiple entries are welcome and encouraged.
- You may identify a location for your work if you chose. The final siting of the work is at the discretion of the juror. View a map of Beals Preserve.
- Please indicate if work requires support or suspension in the landscape and your proposed method for achieving this.
- All work will be considered based on quality of materials and ability to implement proposed work.
- This is a Leave No Trace exhibit; from installation to dismantling, nature must be left intact and all materials brought to the site must be removed at the end of the show.
- Work does not need to be for sale, however, SOLF requests a 25% donation on any works sold in the exhibit.
- By submitting a proposal, artists acknowledge Southborough Open Land Foundation assumes no liability for artwork on the property during the exhibition.
- The selected artists will be notified by May 10, 2019 via email.